[Spridgets] Clutch and Brakes Reverse Roll Play

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Clutch and Brakes Reverse Roll Play
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:14:56 -0800
My brakes would not grab. .  pedal too the floor. .  but clutch working
fine.

I took the MC out, cleaned it and found a piece of foil inside that came off
from the brake fluid container.  Not sure if this was the issue. .  but at
any rate after going through the system blowing compressed air through and
bleeding it all out again I have brakes.

BUT. . my clutch now does not work.  And I can tell that the clutch side of
the master cyl is not holding compression like the brake side now it when I
push the plungers in manually (on the work bench).

I took the MC back out and criss crossed the black cup seal to isolate the
problem.  . same issue.  no matter which side the seal or seals are on, the
clutch side has stopped holding pressure.  And again, the clutch was fine
before I started working on the brake issue.

I also re-installed the little plastic end valve on the clutch side (which
only belongs on the brake side).  I accidentally had this on the clutch side
when the clutch was working fine, and since I am out of options I thought
what the heck, I will stick the thing back in there and see what happens.
Of course it made no difference.  . no clutch pressure from the MC.

Can't be the bore going bad all of a sudden as there is no pitting or issues
on the clutch side bore.  . and there has been no wear on it since I have
been working on it.

This whole thing is getting kind of crazy.  I finally get my brake pressure
back and lose my clutch in the process (which has been working fine).

I do have a tiny brake leak on the rear passenger side wheel. .  been there
for 5 years.  And I am fixing the leak (have all the parts).

But the brakes are holding pressure.  . the clutch is what is now causing me
to wonder what planet I am on?

Any input is appreciated. .

Thanks also to Guy who has been following this with me and has offered some
really solid advice (regarding getting my brakes to work).

But again, I have my brakes back and have now lost my clutch!

Kirk