Re: [Spridgets] New Mini Pricing

To: lists@dinospider.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Mini Pricing
From: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:43:16 -0500
mike rambour wrote:
>  Ok, as long as we have gone way off topic to MINI's, this mileage on
> new toys post brings up a question. What is the list wisdom on breaking
> in new motors ?

I used to not exceed XXX rpms but that was way back with my new 73
Spitfire and after 11,000 miles I had to rebuild the engine because I
built up a ridge.
And then snapped a ring while driving hard later on.
An old timer told me to drive it like you normally do and tach it up
every now and then so as not to build up that ridge.
On the other hand when a racer rebuild an engine, it's on the track and
maxed out on the first lap.
I rebuild Sprite engines and run them for 20 minutes at 2000 rpms, 3500
rpms each for a few minutes and red line them for a few seconds in between.
Change the oil and filter after those 20 minutes and it's done.
I am refreshing the engine I rebuilt some 10-12 years ago and there is
no problems or significant wear.
It was starting to smoke a little and my ooil pressure was not as high
as I like so rings and bearings which showed no signs of wear but the
oil pump was a mess.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ