Re: [Spridgets] Porsche 928 for sale Madison WI area

To: "Jay" <jfishbein@snet.net>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Porsche 928 for sale Madison WI area
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:38:04 -0400
Sounds like a bit of jealousy, to me.  Personally, while I don't have any
use for people who buy a car simply to impress others with, I refuse to
dislike someone simply because they have attained more, in terms of material
wealth, than I have.  I think that most of them may have earned it by being
more willing to work hard for it, at the expense of their personal/family
life.  Others were just in the right place at the right time, which I have
observed as probably the KEY to material success in life.  No matter where
we happen to be, materially, we pay a price of some sort for it.
As a PCA member, on and off since '71, I find that today's "typical" PCA
member just doesn't get it as to how to really have FUN with a sports car.
I just can't justify spending all of that money for performance which can
virtually NEVER be safely used on a public highway.  Think about it: How
often do we see a modern/new Porsche out on a winding, country back road?
Typically, we see them on an Interstate droning along in traffic with other
clueless commuters, or motoring along at 25-35 mph around a mall or suburban
neighborhood.  The PCA members who actually have fun DRIVING their cars are
those with the older, "classic" models (typically the ones produced before
1986, for example), I think because the cars are smaller (look at any modern
Porsche......they're absolutely huge, compared to the Porsches of the 70s &
earlier), lighter and really "talk" to the driver, rather than attempt to
insulate the driver from the driving experience.  The other group of PCA
members enjoying their cars are the ones who participate in the DE programs,
track day events and PCA club racing.  Like 'em or not, the Porsche Club of
America is really a good organization and does a good job of educating and
entertaining their membership.  They've recently re-discovered Porsche's
older models, too, which is one of the reasons I re-joined a couple of years
ago.
Do they really get as much enjoyment out of their cars as, say, the guys in
my local MG or Triumph clubs do?  Probably not.  In fact, not even close.
But, they think they do, so who am I to burst their bubble?
Bud Osbourne