Re: [Spridgets] Porsche 928 for sale Madison WI area

To: "HealeyRick" <healeyrick@yahoo.com>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Porsche 928 for sale Madison WI area
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 08:20:54 -0400
Well, that could happen with any high performance car.  But, with any
rear-engined Porsche, it's LIFTING the right foot in a turn that will get
you into big trouble in a very big hurry.  The 928, on the other hand,
features superb balance along with some trick rear suspension features that
will help save your butt if you are silly enough to take your foot off the
gas, in a turn, when you are close to or at the limit.
My most recent drive, in a 930 (an '86 model with very low, original miles),
was just a few years ago and I was thoroughly impressed with the way Porsche
had matched the chassis and brakes to the horsepower generated by that
turbo-motor.  Of course, this has always been a Porsche hallmark (chassis &
brakes matched to & complimenting horsepower).  But my favorite 911 is a '73
Carrera RS clone that one of my buddies has.  Instead of the 2.7 it has a
2.9 with S cams and mechanical fuel injection.  Tremendous performance, but,
unlike some other super-cars, it really "talks" to you through the seat,
wheel, brakes and throttle........a real Driver's Car.
To me, though, it's all about how much (or how little) of that awesome
performance can be used on the road, in every day driving situations.  The
reality is that it's very damn little, with Porsche's modern creations and I
find that I wouldn't own ANY modern Porsche, even if it was GIVEN to me.
With the early 911s and the 928s, you can still use a good bit of the
performance potential on the road, provided you have the experience and
ability to do it.  Still, like the old saying goes: it's a lot more fun
driving slow cars fast than it is driving fast cars slow.  This is why the
Spridget is such a hoot to drive almost ALL of the time.
Bud Osbourne