Re: [Spridgets] Pinky Update

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Pinky Update
From: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 10:57:34 -0400
Listers,
Interesting thoughts now I just realized I have to remember which post
direction I need if I replace it. When I first purchased Pinky in 06 Frank
did his magic and made her a Negative Ground I do not remember what he did,
Frank can your refresh my memory and explain how that works? I would imagine
I would pick up a battery with the terminals in the same location.

I have a huge hole of rust in the battery location on Pinky's body that I
need to weld in a piece of sheet metal but before I can get to that job over
the summer I'm going to put in a piece of wood. I never want that to happen
again so I also want to put in a battery box like the marine type I see at
the marine stores and one I saw at Pep Boys last week. I need to take a few
measurements for that but I am thinking I may make one out of
Lexan/Plexyglass as I teach my students how to cut, bend and weld plastics
at my school. I have sealed around 300 aquariums for my kids with ZERO leaks
(I am so proud of that)  I use Aquarium silicone as it will not harm marine
life. So will that silicone be OK if acids get on it? Yes I am aware of the
boxes LBC vendors sell but I am sure they are over priced marine boxes.
Perhaps I should make a few boxes and test battery acid on the seals? I use
a lexan/plexy adhesive on the plastic to melt them together and then the
aquarium clear silicone for leaks and stability.
Thoughts?

Lin

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>wrote:

> Listers,
> I want to thank everyone for all the suggestions regarding my little Sprite
> fuel/battery/starter problem.
>
> Update is I finally bought a much needed large battery charger from Sears
> and the battery is only at 12.4 or 12.5 I don't recall. From reading the
> details about batteries I should be at 12.7 volts for 100% I should have had
> a slow charger on the battery all winter and this little car has not had a
> lot of love in the last few years so it is time to give her much needed
> parts and service and that means a new battery to start with.
>
> I could ether go with another Interstate which I like but one of the
> replies suggested the gel type as I recall something about their design
> being superior. I see the gel types are about $200. and the Interstate $100.
> now I don't use the car daily so maybe I should just stick with the
> Interstate and put on a battery tender type of charger over winter or bring
> it in the house. What are all of you doing for batteries?
>
> Also yes it might be possible I also have a starter problem ( have a spare
> good starter available thanks Frank) I will bring the battery to the
> Interstate store (sometime next week as I am still working late late nights
> with the kids) and have it tested with a load. If they say it is on the edge
> I'll get one new battery. If I still have the same sounds like a dead
> battery or near dead battery I'm removing the starter and bench testing it.
>

> Does this sound like a plan?
>
> BTW My students & I have been working endless nights on their underwater
> robot the prom is tonight and the competition is tomorrow at 6:30 AM. The
> robot is not done (I hope this changes by end of day) and I am still
> hopeful. This underwater robot competition has kept me from attending
> Carlisle this year which I am bummed about so I hope they at least have it
> fully working and earn some points. I haven't told the kids it is
> interfering with my car show. Please all have a great time I hope it is a
> DRY Day and get some photos : )
>
> Linda & Pinky ; )

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75