Re: [Spridgets] L(A)JC

To: Jay <jfishbein@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] L(A)JC
From: Macy Larry <lmacy@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:34:37 -0500
Of those folks that drive them on the coasts, I would have to agree with you.
However, if you go someplace like Casper WY you find that the big truck like
vehicles out number cars about 2:1. And very durn few of them are shiny and
clean. Most of them are used and used hard.

So while here on the east coast and likely on the west as well, they are
"useless", in the middle of the country, well, "Them's fightin' words, boy".

Larry
On Jan 10, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Jay wrote:

> In the U.S. it's not about mileage, it's about prestige. For the most part,
> people here aren't concerned with the price of fuel. People want to drive
> something fashionable and large tall vehicles are in vogue.
>

> Oddly, some see it as an "expression of freedom".
>

> Personally speaking, in addition to conservation, I like small, nimble
>vehicles.
>

> For daily travel, I have never had the need to drive a truck-like vehicle and
> will argue that most of the people driving Range Rovers, Suburbans, Denali's,
> Tahoes, Wahoos, Yahoos, Cadillac and Lincoln trucks, those half-truck things
> with 4' beds, Honda Ridgelines/Clothelines whatever you call them, and so-on,
> have little practical use for them.
>
> jay fishbein
> wallingford, ct
>

> ________________________________

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@upenn.edu
Senior IT Program Director
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web
page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had
very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another
word processor, or another network."
-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums