Re: [Spridgets] L(A)JC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] L(A)JC
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:55:07 -0500
I've called people on it before, and all they say is that they can buy what
they want to buy.  I do see a lot of people driving them that seem to not have
a real need for them.

I don't see where there is any prestige or pride in driving what is basically a
truck.  I prefer to drive a car, usually a midsize or smaller car.  It is much
nicer, safer, faster and more comfortable than any of the big trucks that
people drive.

I had a friend that owned a BMW 325.  He traded it for a big Toyota SUV, and
then told me how much better it was than the BMW.  This is a single guy with
nothing to carry in the car but himself.  I figured he really didn't know how
to appreciate the qualities of the BMW.  I'm not a BMW fan but I don't think
Toyota makes anything that is better than anything BMW makes.

My wife wanted an SUV so we bought her a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I was OK with it
only because we do use it a lot for camping trips and it might be one of the
few on the road that is actually used a lot off road.  Plus she uses it to
carry furniture and so forth.  We bought a piece of furniture recently and she
commented that "it's a good thing we have this big car".  It is time for her to
get a new car and I'm trying to get her to agree to something a little better
on fuel economy.  The last time she and I were off road in the Jeep it was a
very rough trail and she announced that it was the last time she wanted to do
it.  I guess someday I'll have to get my own Jeep if I want to keep doing
offroad.  Whatever she selects though I won't be able to have much influence
over her because she is one that will buy what she wants to buy, without regard
to size or efficiency.

> Oddly, some see it as an "expression of freedom".
>

> Personally speaking, in addition to conservation, I like small, nimble
>vehicles.
>

> For daily travel, I have never had the need to drive a truck-like vehicle and
> will argue that most of the people driving Range Rovers, Suburbans, Denali's,
> Tahoes, Wahoos, Yahoos, Cadillac and Lincoln trucks, those half-truck things
> with 4' beds, Honda Ridgelines/Clothelines whatever you call them, and so-on,
> have little practical use for them.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive