Re: [Spridgets] LA(J)C > SHOfun?

To: 'Spridgets' <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] LA(J)C > SHOfun?
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:26:29 -0500
Not sure what you have against the SHO V6, it was a great engine at the time.
And BTW almost all FWD cars have the engine in front of the front axle.

I owned a 1990 V6 SHO, and when I bought it the dealer had another car in the
back lot that someone had rolled.  Some months later the first article came out
in Road&Track about the SHOgun, and that article mentioned that they got the
drivetrain out of wrecked SHO in Texas.  I wrote to the magazine wondering if
that drivetrain came out of the car behind my dealer, and they published my
letter in the magazine.

But back to the subject- if you didn't like the SHO drivetrain, perhaps a
turbocharged 4-banger.  Lots of manufacturers have offered those.  You just
need to find something that would be plentiful and cheap at junkyards.

Another way to go that I thought would be interesting- buy a Fiero and put a V8
into it.  There are lots of kits for that.  And if you really want to get into
it, buy a kit-car body kit for it to convert it into a Ford GT40 or some other
unique design.

> So, having stirred a hornets nest of talk about fuel mileage and work
> trucks, perhaps I should mention my plan B for the Festiva.
>
> SHOgun.
>
> Well sort of, the SHO v6 is not really my cup of espresso. Any number of 4
> bangers could triple the HP in my Festiva. But I do like the RWD mid-engine
> idea.  If you aren't familiar with the original SHOgun, a few links are
> below.  Does anyone know where to find information on drivetrain weight and
> axle placement? Is there a database, or anyone have thoughts on the subject?
> I want cheap. If I were going to put several thousand in a project, I'd buy
> something different!  Obviously, low weight and size with high hp are key.
> But also, few modern engines sit in front of the axle.  Oh and automatics
> need not apply...

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive