[Spridgets] Thermal dynamics question (No LBC Content)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Thermal dynamics question (No LBC Content)
From: "Bob Gardner" <rdgard@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:17:19 -0800
 NO LBC CONTENT!

Hi all,

I know that a lot of the people on this list are much smarter than I am on
many different topics.  Several times I have asked a question and gotten
great answers that I would not have thought of.

So here is my situation and followed by my question.

When it gets chilly here at night in the winter (don't tell me how much
colder it is where you are, ok?) I sometimes turn on the heater and it gets
plenty warm up at the ceiling and still chilly half down the room and worse
on the floor.  Ok, we all know heat goes up.

So My big idea is to build a small square tube (about 6 inches square) and
put a small silent computer fan in it.  I have an area next to a book case
that if I paint it the wall color, you would never notice it. (Here is where
I need your advice.)  I want to take the cold air from the floor and push it
up the tube and exit it at the top so it will start a movement of air,
pulling the cold air from the floor and warming it up at the ceiling,
creating a more even temp distribution in the room.

OR

Should I suck the hot air from the ceiling and exit it on the floor level,
heating up the cold air on the floor.  Or does it matter if the air movement
goes up or down?

These little fans move about 100 cu ft/min of air.  If I put two fans, one
at the bottom and one at the top would it increase the air flow or just make
one of them work harder and/or make more noise.  I know if I put them in
parallel it would push twice as much air, but in series would it make any
difference?

Thanks in advance for your good advice and your slings and arrows about my
freezing 56 degree winter here in San Diego.

Cheers,

Bob

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75