[Spridgets] Spitfire in 73

Subject: [Spridgets] Spitfire in 73
From: spritenut at comcast.net (Frank Clarici)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:10:50 -0500
David is correct. My second engine was from a 69 Spit, it was a 1296 as
the 73 was the first year with the 1500.
The 1296 was decent.
They also cheapened up the transverse leaf spring in 73 which led to
excessive wear on the U joints because the rear wheels tended to stick
out like a hula skirt.
And I was 18 years old and not exactly a user friendly driver.
BUT my first car was a 67 Sprite, yeah I beat the crap out of it and it
stood up to it. The Spit would blow a diff if you let up on the gas
going down hill and stepped back on the gas to go up a hill. I live in
Jersey, we have sand dunes, not big hills.
I have replaced U joints on the side of the road at night.
I finally put the whole ass end set up from an early Spit into the 73
just to make it semi trouble free as the majority of my problems were
diff and axle U joints.
When I sold it, I bought another Sprite and never looked back.
Remember this was a new car, I sold it with 36000 miles on it.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ