[Spridgets] 20 % Tariff

Subject: [Spridgets] 20 % Tariff
From: an5.sprite at gmail.com (an5.sprite at gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 01:10:10 +0000
All tariff's do is create economic distortions in a home market. Many emerging
market countries use tariff's as a means of protecting new developed
capabilities. When tariff's are not removed those industries get lazy and
inefficient. The cost of additional tariff's in the USA would be higher
inflation, even less competitive products in global markets and a lower
standard of living.

The problems we are having today is that we can not compete with China in
unskilled or semi- skilled labor. The only long term solution is a complete
change in our education approach. It is a shame that we have some of the best
universities in the world but some of the worst average achievement from our
students on international testing.

We still lead the world in many research areas but our advantage is dwindling.
We keep on shrinking our research and scientific budgets while Asian countries
are increasing them. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know that if
you do not make an investment you will not get a return.

Quality control came to Japan from an American, I think his name was Demming or
something like that. His ideas were rejected by American manufacturers.

Enough said.

Steve