Re: [Spridgets] Oil Leaking From Front of 948 Engine

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil Leaking From Front of 948 Engine
From: "Jim Seippel" <aseippel@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:26:29 -0500
I put a crank seal in a 948 in a parking lot back in the '60s . It's pretty
easy to do once you pull the radiator. You loosen the crank pulley bolt by
putting the wrench (1 5/16ths) against the frame and hitting the starter.
Don't forget to bend the lock tab back on the crank pulley bolt. When you
put the new felt in, soak it in motor oil first. Look at the pulley where it
rides against the seal and make sure it is smooth and not worn. There should
not be a groove where the seal rides. You can put in the seal without
pulling the timing cover if you are clever. Be sure the Woodruff key doesn't
fall out when you put the pulley back on. The entire job only takes about an
hour to an hour and a half (without rust). This was from memory. - Jim