[Spridgets] Temperature probe adapter

Subject: [Spridgets] Temperature probe adapter
From: mark at nashvilletn.org (Mark)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:06:24 -0500
Hal,  It is my understanding that the probe bulb needed the spacer due to
it's length, the reason for the adapter.  The adapter gives you another 3/4
+/- of length.  The same sensor bulb was used on the downflow radiator.  I
moved mine from the radiator to the head with the 1275 and had to order an
adapter.

Mark

Spridgeteers,
I want to use a temperature probe in the head of my 1275 that is larger than
the stock.  Can the engineers/metallurgists/experienced folk tell me if
there is any reason the factory used an adapter between the head and probe?
The new probe is brass and I am concerned about galvanic action possibly
eating away at the head rather than a replaceable adapter.  Can I simply
drill and tap the head for the larger probe, or should I figure out some way
to get a replaceable piece in there?  The probe is standard, not expensive
and easily removed so I don't really care if I need to replace it in a few
years, but fixing the head would be a lot more effort and expense.
Hal