Re: [Spridgets] Working on the car, this time for real!

To: Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Working on the car, this time for real!
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:24:31 -0500
Build a wooden jig.  There are several different plans out there.  Here's
one:
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,1766256,1766256#msg-1766256

I built a more elaborate one for my Midget.

http://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/images/DSCF2000.JPG
http://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/images/DSCF2008.JPG

Plans for this are buried somewhere in the garage.  If you want them, let me
know and I'll scan them and send to you.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM, CosmicMag1380 <cosmicmag1380@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Andrew Payne <andrewpayne@intrex.net>
> wrote:
> Where should I put the stands once I remove the rear suspension?
> Take a 4 x 4 post and run it through where the rear axle was... make
> sure it is long enough to stick outside the wheel wells on both sides.
> You can add pieces of wood between the post and the bottom of the axle
> hump if you want to take up space if you don't want the post to
> contact the fender lips. The fender lips are strong enough to support
> the stripped car without bending unless they are really rusty. Put
> your jack stands on the outside on each side of the car. Watch out
> that you don't jam your knees/ankles on them! You can make it any
> height that you want by putting cinder block (or whatever) under each
> side of the post. That way you'll have plenty of room for a creeper
> underneath.
>
> --
> Kent
> 1960 Bugeye
> 1983 Garage full of spridget parts!
> 2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget parts!!!

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Sprite-Midget Club USA <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>
High Plains Youth Hockey <http://www.highplainsyouthhockey.org>