Re: [Spridgets] Anyone home?

To: "<corvallis@peoplepc.com>" <corvallis@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Anyone home?
From: Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:04:36 -0400
Friday I drove to Grattan Raceway to crew for John Deikis.  At the end of the
second practice session he came in with the car running on two cylinders.  A
quick check found the spring that holds the choke lever up had come loose on
the front carb.  Front two cylinders running really rich.  We fixed that and
he fired it up.  Still running on two cylinders.  So I said pull the plugs
John.  Front two very black as expected.  Number three looked great.  Number
four looked good, but coolant was running out of the plug hole.  Crap - a
blown head gasket.

We pulled the head and found the head gasket appeared to have been damaged
before assembly - part of the ring around the cylinder was crushed like
something had been dropped on the gasket.  And this was a "professionally"
built engine put together by a supposed expert.

Worse yet we discovered the number four piston was damaged.  You can take a
light and shine it down the bore and see the top of the upper ring on the
backside of the piston.  So we loaded it up and went home.  Race weekend
over.

Saturday I went and played with my Ultralight.  :-)

Rick

Sent from my iPad

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75