Re: [Spridgets] Wire Wheel Warning

To: Bob Spruck <raspruck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Wire Wheel Warning
From: Lester Ewing via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:37:24 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_E8279615-EEE0-42E0-9210-771AFE0B5E87

Atlanta has one of the best guys for wire wheel truing, mounting, and =
balancing.  He is a Jag guy and cut up a jag spindle so there is =
something specific to mount to .  Now I just need to remember his name=85

Lester

I think that this is it, Dick Maury at http://www.coventrywest.com

On Apr 12, 2016, at 1:34 PM, Bob Spruck via Spridgets =
<spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Beware getting wire wheel work done by a local tire shop. I did that =
with my w/w '72 and they really screwed them up. Most places don't have =
the equipment or the experience to properly mount or balance w/w's. Mine =
ended up with a terrible imbalance because the shop couldn't support the =
hub and keep the rim concentric with it. Therefore the hub and the rim =
were on different center lines. VERY noticeable on the road. And not =
repairable unless you can find someone who knows how to tune and tighten =
w/w's. Those guys are getting hard to find, at least in the Atlanta =
area.=20
>=20
> Also be wary of a service like K&T Automotive in Allentown, PA =
advertises. They call it tire truing. All they do is shave the tire to =
make it balance. So your wheel could be grossly out of whack and they =
shave the tire to make it balance. Not good.
>=20
> Many people recommend you have your w/w work done at a motorcycle =
shop. I have not tried that but it makes sense if you can find one and =
verify that they can and will do what you want.
>=20
> I had to convert my w/w '72 Midget to disc wheels (actually, I used =
the Minilite replicas that I had as rain tires on my '67 Midget vintage =
race car). That's a fairly straight forward job but did take lots of =
time.
>=20
> The Sebring Sprite replica I bough last year has the bolt-on w/w =
conversion as well as brand new tires, so I hope I don't need any w/w =
work for a while.
>=20
> If you tell us where you are located, some of us might be able to =
invite you to a vintage race to see what goes on. I've been hooked and =
racing my '67 for 25 years.
>=20
> Bob Spruck
> Sharpsburg, GA
>=20
> On 4/11/2016 9:43 PM, Diane Elliman via Spridgets wrote:
>> Well, I thought I would try and start my Midget tonight. It has been =
in winter hibernation for at least 6 months in my garage. I am soooo  =
excited and happy to say she started just fine. I really had no real =
trouble starting her. The battery was strong. I took your advice last =
Fall and put some of that Stabil stuff in the gas tank. I guess it =
really worked good!!! Thank you all for such good advice! So now I plan =
on taking her on Friday to get the new tires and tubes put on. They have =
been in my garage all winter too! No school Friday, so I have time to =
get it done, in-between grading papers. It is supposed to be close to 70 =
degrees this weekend too, so I can take her out for a ride. Maybe even =
venture all the way to the swap meet in her. (45 min. drive!) LOL. I =
just got my Midget last October, and have not really taken her anywhere, =
just around here a little. I am so looking forward to getting some =
things done to her and repainted. I also want to come and see some of =
you race those little Spridgets!
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/raspruck@gmail.com
>=20
> ------------------------
>=20
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/oldsaabguy@comcast.net

--Apple-Mail=_E8279615-EEE0-42E0-9210-771AFE0B5E87

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space;">Atlanta has one of the best guys for wire wheel =
truing, mounting, and balancing. &nbsp;He is a Jag guy and cut up a jag =
spindle so there is something specific to mount to . &nbsp;Now I just =
need to remember his =
this is it, Dick Maury at&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.coventrywest.com";>http://www.coventrywest.com</a></div>=
PM, Bob Spruck via Spridgets &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF" text=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"><font size=3D"+1"><font =
face=3D"Arial">Beware getting wire wheel work done by a local tire shop. =
I did that with my w/w '72 and they really screwed them up. Most places =
don't have the equipment or the experience to properly mount or balance =
w/w's. Mine ended up with a terrible imbalance because the shop couldn't =
support the hub and keep the rim concentric with it. Therefore the hub =
and the rim were on different center lines. VERY noticeable on the road. =
And not repairable unless you can find someone who knows how to tune and =
tighten w/w's. Those guys are getting hard to find, at least in the =
Atlanta area.<span =
service like K&amp;T Automotive in Allentown, PA advertises. They call =
it tire truing. All they do is shave the tire to make it balance. So =
your wheel could be grossly out of whack and they shave the tire to make =
it balance. Not good.<br><br>Many people recommend you have your w/w =
work done at a motorcycle shop. I have not tried that but it makes sense =
if you can find one and verify that they can and will do what you =
want.<br><br>I had to convert my w/w '72 Midget to disc wheels =
(actually, I used the Minilite replicas that I had as rain tires on my =
'67 Midget vintage race car). That's a fairly straight forward job but =
did take lots of time.<br><br>The Sebring Sprite replica I bough last =
year has the bolt-on w/w conversion as well as brand new tires, so I =
hope I don't need any w/w work for a while.<br><br>If you tell us where =
you are located, some of us might be able to invite you to a vintage =
race to see what goes on. I've been hooked and racing my '67 for 25 =
class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 4/11/2016 9:43 PM, Diane Elliman via =
Spridgets wrote:<br></div><blockquote =
cite=3D"mid:018801d1945c$bff14fe0$3fd3efa0$@sbcglobal.net" =
type=3D"cite"><div class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: =
WordSection1;"><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; =
font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Well, I thought I would try and start =
my Midget tonight. It has been in winter hibernation for at least 6 =
months in my garage. I am soooo&nbsp; excited and happy to say she =
started just fine. I really had no real trouble starting her. The =
battery was strong. I took your advice last Fall and put some of that =
Stabil stuff in the gas tank. I guess it really worked good!!! Thank you =
all for such good advice! So now I plan on taking her on Friday to get =
the new tires and tubes put on. They have been in my garage all winter =
too! No school Friday, so I have time to get it done, in-between grading =
papers. It is supposed to be close to 70 degrees this weekend too, so I =
can take her out for a ride. Maybe even venture all the way to the swap =
meet in her. (45 min. drive!) LOL. I just got my Midget last October, =
and have not really taken her anywhere, just around here a little. I am =
so looking forward to getting some things done to her and repainted. I =
also want to come and see some of you race those little =
Spridgets!<o:p></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">Life is =
good!<o:p></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: =
11pt; font-family: Calibri, =
class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset><br><pre =
wrap=3D"">------------------------

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" =
href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline;">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>

href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>

Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline;">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: underline;">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/raspruck@gmail.com=
" style=3D"color: purple; text-decoration: =
underline;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/raspruck@gmail=
.com</a>
href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: =
underline;">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual =
donation: $12.75<br><br>Archive:<span =
underline;">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; style=3D"color: purple; =
text-decoration: =
underline;">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/oldsaabguy@comcast=
.net" style=3D"color: purple; text-decoration: =
underline;">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/oldsaabguy@com=

--Apple-Mail=_E8279615-EEE0-42E0-9210-771AFE0B5E87--

--===============8196897205534131470==

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8196897205534131470==--