Re: [Spridgets] Manifold flange thickness

To: Hal Faulkner <frog.aye@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Manifold flange thickness
From: derf via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 13:43:25 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--000000000000fdeae505ae955c3e

Get some fat, wide washers and grind down one side.  Or, if you have a
mill..............

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:22 PM Hal Faulkner via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Listerati,
> Trying to get off my rear end and make some progress in my long term
> overhaul of FROG AYE, my 1960 Frogeye. The engine is now a 20 over 1275
> with some porting, oversize valves and VP-SP3 cam. I have replaced the old
> 3 to one exhaust manifold with a Maniflow LCB, the intake manifold is also
> by Maniflow, for the HS-2 carbs that came with the car.  The concern I have
> is that the flange is thicker on the exhaust than on the intake.  Torquing
> the manifolds until the exhaust just touches the block (no gasket for this
> measurement) leaves the intake manifold with about 35 thousands play.  Of
> course, this can be taken up in the gasket, but that leaves the washer on
> the intake side (of the common studs) sitting at a noticeable angle, which
> ,if nothing else, doesn't look very cool.  The attached photo shows about
> .035" of feeler between the washero and the intake manifold flange.  The
> exhaust manifold is snug.
>
> What would you do?
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/derf247@gmail.com

--000000000000fdeae505ae955c3e

iv dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:22 PM Hal Faul=
kner via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridget=
style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);pa=
dding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Listerati,<div>Trying to get off my rear e=
nd and make some progress in my long term overhaul of FROG AYE, my 1960 Fro=
geye. The engine is now a 20 over 1275 with some porting, oversize valves a=
nd VP-SP3 cam. I have replaced the old 3 to one exhaust manifold=C2=A0with =
a Maniflow LCB, the intake manifold is also by Maniflow, for the HS-2 carbs=
 that came with the car.=C2=A0 The concern I have is that the flange is thi=
cker on the exhaust than on the intake.=C2=A0 Torquing the manifolds until =
the exhaust just touches the block (no gasket for this measurement) leaves =
the intake manifold with about 35 thousands play.=C2=A0 Of course, this can=
 be taken up in the gasket, but that leaves the washer on the intake side (=
of the common studs) sitting at a noticeable angle, which ,if nothing else,=
 doesn&#39;t look very cool.=C2=A0 The attached photo shows about .035&quot=
; of feeler between the washero and the intake manifold flange.=C2=A0 The e=
------------------------<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=