Re: [Spridgets] Won't Idle Down

To: Bert Shirey <bshirey382@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Won't Idle Down
From: Ron Corry via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:26:05 +0000
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--000000000000f47b8a05ece234fd

Hi Bert,

     Three things to check in my opinion:-

1.) Is there any slack in the cable going to the carbs and are the ferrule
ends seated correctly (too much slack is not good either). Maybe undo the
cable clamp to the lever on the carbs; start her up and see if the idle is
as you have now. If the idle is now good, check out #2 below as well.

2.)  Check carefully in the driver's footwell that there is nothing
obstructing the correct operation of the pedal and it's cross arm. (My
carpet moved up and blocked the proper return of the cable / acclr. arm.
Being stuck in traffic at 2500 revs is not funny!).

3.) Have you changed the (routing of the) acclr. cable? I did, and when I
closed the bonnet, it squezed on the cable, and sent the revs up.

Hope these thoughts may work for you. Do share with the group the solution
to this issue.

Kind regards,

Ron.

On Mon 7 Nov 2022, 04:46 Bert Shirey via Spridgets, <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Guys and Gals: Last month I passed down my 1966 MKII 1098 MIdget to a
> friend. I had the car 57 years from new, but I can no longer take care of
> it as it needs 'and it was time to let it  go to a good home
>         . Some time ago I replaced the carbs with new SU H2s. Ever since,
> the idle will not come down. It holds about 1500 RPM normal and higher on
> fast. Because of back issues, I was never able to properly sort out the
> trouble. The screws are out to the point of being loose. Before I installed
> the new carbs I went over the whole car, timing, ignition, plugs, valve
> adjustment.
>       The car has about 55000 miles and is in mechanically good shape,
> since I babied it. My friend is not yet a list member, and I still feel
> some responsibility to help him getting the Midge running properly.He says
> he checked for vacuum leaks in the usual manner, to no avail. There is a
> slight oil leak from one of the tappet side covers that I suppose could
> draw air into the breather, maybe unlikely.
>           Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers, Bert Shirey.
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/ron.corry.iol@gmail.com

--000000000000f47b8a05ece234fd

=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Three things to check in my opinion:-</div><div dir=3D"aut=
 the carbs and are the ferrule ends seated correctly (too much slack is not=
 good either). Maybe undo the cable clamp to the lever on the carbs; start =
her up and see if the idle is as you have now. If the idle is now good, che=
>2.)=C2=A0 Check carefully in the driver&#39;s footwell that there is nothi=
ng obstructing the correct operation of the pedal and it&#39;s cross arm. (=
My carpet moved up and blocked the proper return of the cable / acclr. arm.=
 Being stuck in traffic at 2500 revs is not funny!).</div><div dir=3D"auto"=
r. cable? I did, and when I closed the bonnet, it squezed on the cable, and=
these thoughts may work for you. Do share with the group the solution to th=
 class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon 7 Nov 2=
022, 04:46 Bert Shirey via Spridgets, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pa=
dding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Guys and Gals: Last month I passed down my=
 1966 MKII 1098 MIdget to a friend. I had the car 57 years from new, but I =
can no longer take care of it as it needs &#39;and it was time to let=C2=A0=
it=C2=A0 go to=C2=A0a=C2=A0good=C2=A0home<div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 .=
 Some time ago I replaced the carbs with new SU H2s. Ever since, the idle w=
ill not come down. It holds about 1500 RPM normal and higher on fast. Becau=
se of back issues, I was never able to properly sort out the trouble. The s=
crews are out to the point of being loose. Before I installed the new carbs=
 I went over the whole car, timing, ignition, plugs, valve adjustment.=C2=
=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 The car has about 55000 miles and is in =
mechanically=C2=A0good shape, since I babied it. My friend is not yet a lis=
t member, and I still feel some responsibility to help him getting the Midg=
e running properly.He says he checked for vacuum=C2=A0leaks in the usual ma=
nner, to no avail. There is a slight oil leak from one of the tappet side c=
overs that I suppose could draw air into the breather, maybe unlikely.</div=
eers, Bert Shirey.</div></div>
------------------------<br>
rrer">spridgets@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>