Land Barge Math Help

To: speckman@coredcs.com
Subject: Land Barge Math Help
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:25:20 -0600
Gar,
I have done some reconstructive math regarding this problem. The
aforementioned 3mph is = to 4.4 feet per second (fps). If the land barge
contacted the object in question at a speed of 4.4 fps, allowing for a
reaction time of .75 seconds (a fairly good reaction time for all but
dragster people who do it in about .4 of a second), before it was
realized that some part of the land barge was not wanting to travel
along at the same speed, with the rest of the vehicle, and the brakes
were applied- the barge would have travelled 3.3 feet before the brakes
were applied. Once the brakes were applied we could assume a linear
deceleration from 4.4 fps to 0, which would make the average velocity of
the land barge during decelleration = to a velocity of 2.2 fps. Putting
these numbers into simultaneous equations relating speed, deceleration,
and distance, it is my conclusion that, had the land barge been
travelling at the claimed speed of 3 mph (4.4 fps) it would have
traveled an addition distance of something less than 2 ft. This would
make the total distance traveled 5.5 feet. Assuming 4 feet of extended
damage due to buckling etc, the 18 feet would be reduced to 14 feet of
contact- not likely possible at a speed of 3 mph.

If we assume that the speed were 6 mph,(8.8 fps) the length of contact
works out to be something between 2 and 3 feet making the length of
contact about 9 ft. Closer but still not 14 feet.

If we assume that the speed were 9 mph,(13.2 fps) the length of contact
works out to be 13'-6"! Voila!!! Pretty close to the 14'.

If I were called to testify in court as an expert witness, I would have
to say that the land barge was traveling at a speed of approximately 9
mph when the incident occurred.

Fitz, what do you think?

Gar, since you request help in getting to the truth of the matter, and
my rate is $50/hour. The clock has been on for 1/2 hour resulting in a
$25 charge. However, I do have a minimum billing of $50 to cover office
expense and such, therefore a bill in the amount of $50 is being mailed
today for services rendered.

Bill D- away from the track also known as,
William J Dalton PE
IL Lic 62-039626

See you in Tech