Re: Land Barge Math Help

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Land Barge Math Help
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:14:16 -0600
Gerald Brazil wrote:

> Hey Dalton, I once hear a good definition of a Profession Engineer. .....It
> is a guy who measures something to the nearest ten thousandth, marks it with
> a piece of chalk and then cuts it with an ax!
>
> Now why did I just think of that1
>
> GJB, FoV

Gerry,
You only should make it as good as it needs to be for the particular
job, any better than that and you are costing the customer more money
for services or product than he needs to spend-hence the ax or cutting
torch etc. Most of the time the problem is that the customer can't
define what he needs so you don't know how good it has to be made.

This results in calculating a bunch of ways to cover all possibilities
and then using the chalk and ax technique so that he thinks he isn't
gonna get too big a bill.
Bill D