That Loooong Race weekend

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: That Loooong Race weekend
From: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:20:49 -0500

Oh, man! Fantastic weekend. Drove the #517 (er, #59 for MC event) Bugeye on the
trailer (intact, but barely...) on Sunday 4 p.m. Alot of track time for the
money... was 7 sec./lap faster than best lap in June and still looking for that
magic line through the Carousel with my setup (like I have a setup). There was
enough other action to keep Bill "Leadbelly" Dalton on the move chasing errant
cars in the cat tails. Great dinner party at the Prime Spot on Sat. night.
Wished more Spritely Thickos would have showed... Craig "Eddie Haskell" Bielat
was registered but I didn't see him or his car; Danny "the Jeweler" must have
been hiding, too? Jim "Box Car Willie... faster than a runaway train" Hill, Irv
"the Perv" Korey, and Ernie "the Mad Hatter??" Husmann (sp) were caught roaming
around the paddock Sunday. Generally it went like this:

Fri afternoon/evening: sunny, warm, then a beautiful 1st qtr. moon for paddock
set-up in the dark.
Fri. after midnight until Sat. 7:30 a.m. - rain, sometimes heavy.
Sat: cloudy, windy, cold, 53 degrees.
Sat. 8:20 a.m. practice - rain stopped but track still sopping wet. My street
Bridgestone Potenzas worked great (again).
Sat. 9:40 qualifying - dry line appearing in many places. What the hell is that
'64 Malibu doing out here? Fast! Big!
Sat. 11:30 race: dry line all around (damp off-line). Stunning correction (well,
save) at #5 track-out.  Thanks, God.
Sat.: the Loooong Races were very enjoyable to watch during the afternoon (100
miles or 80 min., whichever came 1st).
Sun. morning: cloudy, cold, 37 degrees, very little wind.
Sun. 9:30 qualifying: an absolutely brutal 25 min. session damn near like a race
- like a Race from Hell - yet loads of fun.
Sun. 3:00 race: car ran great (used every single hp) and had the tach up there
where there are no #'s (beyond 7k on my
factory '75 Midget tach). Felt gooooooood. Finished the 30 min. race under full
power deciding then and there to come back next year for sure. Naturally,
there's a story or two to tell. Better told in person over a draft, though.
Yeeeeehaaaaaa. Seeya in '00.

Sidewinder
#517 Bugeye
a.k.a. (thanks in part to "I the P")
sidehand, toolwinder, handtool, handwinder, toolsander, etc.

PS - Fitz's Tech entry in my log book for IRP:  "Better than Speckman's"
Tech entry in my log book for That Loooong Race:  "Still better than Speckman's"