Re: Gee but I'd love to hear that again

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gee but I'd love to hear that again
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 01:02:13 -0600 (MDT)
Gee, funny you should say such a thing.  Last weekend Intermountain Vintage
Racing had a drivers school weekend out at Wendover, Utah.  At one point I
was standing by the side of the Enola Gay hangar, watching the open wheel cars
strut their stuff.  Bob Allred in a Crossle Formula Ford came down the front
straight at full chat heading into the front kink, and as he zipped by me I
had a fleeting flashback.

Years ago, one of the salesman who called upon the company where my father
worked lived in Indianapolis, a few blocks from the track.  He and my dad
were buddies, and our family often traveled from South Bend down to Indy for
the qualifying weekends.  I vaguely recall early to mid sixties, as the A. J.
Watson Roadsters and such were pushed into the history books by the up and
coming rear engined cars.

So there I was a week ago, standing around at an old Air Force facility in
the western desert as a Formula Ford went by.  And for an extremely brief but
very succinct moment I heard Jim Clark in a little green Lotus accelerating
out of turn 4 and across a yard of bricks.

mjb.

///
///  team-thicko@autox.team.net mailing list
///