Re: Re[2]: Am I All Wet?

To: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Am I All Wet?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 16:27:08 PDT

>      Torque on a head, with valves, lifters, pushrods, rockers, etc. for
>      one bank(do both heads if you're masochistic) with new head gasket and
>      modeling clay or '90's-acceptable stuff and hand crank the engine @
>      few times.
>
>      Remove carefully & "mike" compressed clay sections. Your engine
>      builder/cam grinder should give you the "min". required for safety;
>      you should also allow for thermal expansion.I believe the
>      CHILTON/MOTORS manuals give these specs. in the "engine building"
>      sections.

>_________________________________
>
> Well, the measurement of how high the pistons go sounds all fine and
> easy.  But, how do you check if the valves will clear?
>
> Jay

As I've already responded to Jay, checking the valve clearances is on my
must do list.

I don't recall where, but I do have the min numbers somewhere
in the mass of printed material I have.  I have three engine manuals,
including an original Ford shop manual and it's accompanying spec book.

I've also heard of doing this check without the gasket in place since
the gasket adds to rather than subtracts from the clearance budget.
I suppose if the results were in doubt, it would have to be redone with
the gasket it in place.

I'm not too concerned that there won't be clearance since I've already
had the valve cut-outs increased, I'm staying with the stock cam to
crank timing and small valves and cam the profile will the same as
original.

Roland