Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: lrw@aop.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 17:16:45 +0100
In a message dated 96-06-14 16:49:07 EDT, Larry wrote:

<< Don't we have a couple of electrical engineers here, mebbe one of
 whom can explain why we couldn't put a rheostat in the circuit?
 Dial-a-Pump, anyone? Hmmm, mebbe even have it stay off until
 temp comes up, control temp electrically (no Lucas parts, please)
 instead of mechanically w/a thermostat, which I have a habit of
 installing backwards anyway. :-(

I suggest that a variable resistor (rheostat) in series with the motor
(like on an air-conditioner fan, if you've ever want to drive
something other than a LBC) would reduce the fan speed by soaking up
the voltage and turning it to HEAT.  There are electronic means of
doing this, but simply turning it off when it isn't required is a
simpler solution.  All modern cars (post 1968) have had such devices,
when an auxilliary fan is required, and they are simply a bi-metallic
strip set to close contacts at a specific design temperature.  They
are available with electric fans from most after-market suppliers.
PAW catalogs then in diameters from 12 to 16 inches, with and without
thero-switches (Not from Lucas, but probably from Mexico or China).

Your local Rocket Scientist,

Steve Laifman
New Owner of B9472289