Re[2]: The 215 thread/ Super 'Crosser

To: a-richat@microsoft.com, Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re[2]: The 215 thread/ Super 'Crosser
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 15:08:01 PST
     Roland;

     -I heard the first "fact" below with these additional "details":

     -Shelby went to GM for engines for his COBRA's; he was turned down
     because GM was just then entering into a market expansion &
     advertising blitz for their Corvette program and didn't want some
     "hotshot" taking any publicity away from them with another car.(GM
     & Pontiac also thought John DeLorean a pariah for his GTO program).

     -I fuzzily remember that Shelby was most impressed by the Corvettes he
     had raced against and originally wanted a small-block Chevy in the
     lighter A.C. chassis for competitive reasons.I don't think he was
     impressed much by the other European offerings; he figured his desired
     power/weight ratios mated to a race-prepped chassis would clinch wins
     for him. By the way, a couple years ago I saw a great special on
     Shelby's WHOLE career up to about 1993? on the A & E cable channel.

     -A couple years ago helping a friend as "crew-chief" on his GT-350 at
     the Palm Springs Road Races, one of the two surviving (so I was told)
     Grand Sport Corvettes was running. What history can you fill me in on
     about these? I also got a photo or 2 of the Daytona model Cobra's.When
     we ever get together for lunch with Gary W. & Steve W., remind me to
     bring my photos.

                                    Phil