Re: Brake lines

To: davew@sandy.merix.com (David Wedeking)
Subject: Re: Brake lines
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 96 8:53:18 PDT
> I have decided that it would be a good idea to replace my brake lines after
>reading
> all the comments about running with 30 year old lines. When I look at the
>parts
> supply catalogs, all that is listed is length, not location used. Does anyone
>have
> the actual lengths required? The list of lines that I found include:
>
> | Dave Wedeking           |                                       |

When I was redoing the brakes on my Cobra, I was surprised to discover
that all of the line sizes (diameters) and fittings were identical to
the generic lines and fittings available at most any auto parts store.
I just bought whatever lengths I needed, cut, bent and re-flared
them to match the old lines.  The small lines were pretty easy to bend
even without tube bending tools.  I did have to buy a dies to do
double flares though.  The store bought lines came with bubble (ISO)
flares on both ends, but I only needed them on one end so I didn't
have to make any of those flares.  In short, perhaps you can make up
these lines yourself.

The reason I was surprised is that my lines were factory installed
in 1963 and many Brit cars of this period didn't have these standard
lines and fittings, or so I'm told.

I am considering redoing mine in stainless steel in the future.  If I do
I think I would most likely take all my old lines to a place and have
them copied since SS pretty tough stuff to work with.

Roland