Re: British AA

To: richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: British AA
From: "G.S.Sutherland" <G.S.Sutherland@phil.hull.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:01:42 +0100 (BST)
+ Can anyone fill me in on what this is and the details? Was ( is ) there
+ a automobile association in England ? What are the specifics ?  Does the
+ number at the bottom have any significance ?

        The Automobile Association, or AA, is one of the national break
down emergency "services" that operate in the UK. The RAC is another,
though it offers additional services, generally to do with motorsport. :)
Should a member of the AA suffer the misfortune of breaking down, all he
has to do is telephone them, and they will send out one of their teams of
roving mechanics to either repair, or recover the vehicle.

        The badge that you've got is one of the older style, which I think
was current during the Sixties. The modern example is a yellow plastic
square with a black AA in the centre. I don't think that you'll find the
AA sending rabid badge collectors out to apprehend the badge - my father's
had an old one (that sounds like the same design as yours) lurking in the
garage for a number of years, and nobody from the AA has come to recover
it. My guess is that the number stamped onto the badge is probably the
membership number of its original bearer. Apparently a cache of unused,
and unstamped badges materialised in England earlier this year, to the
delight of classic car enthusiasts and collectors alike.

+             Thanks, Rick

                Graeme