British AA

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: British AA
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:47:30 -0400
     Some questions:

A friend from work , upon returning from a multi week visit to Europe,
presented me with the gift of a badge he purchased in a shop in England.

The badge is chrome, approx. 4.5" tall X 4" wide, has wings at the top, two
overlapping A's in the center, and truncates in a tab at the bottom.  The
area inside of , and directly outside of the A's is punched through, and
another piece of metal, ( painted yellow ) shows through from behind.  The
badge has a couple of screws and brackets, and appears to be made to be
grille mounted.

 The area above and on the tab carries the following information:

"Property of the AA New Coventry St. London, W.  1"

also :  " This badge MUST be returned when membership ceases "
Hmmm.  ;~)

and finally a number :  8A79263

Can anyone fill me in on what this is and the details  ?  Was  ( is )  there
a automobile association in England ?
What are the specifics ?  Does the number at the bottom have any significance ?

            Thanks,   Rick