Re: Plating

To: tigers@autox.team.net, "Randy Zimmermann" <RZIMM@hhh.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: Plating
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 16:03:42 PST
     Randy;

     -Being a subsidiary of a Japanese company, Hitachi Instruments has
     some rather unusual ( by U.S. Mfg. std's.) callouts on their drawings.
     The one I dealt with most recently from a plating standpoint was Black
     Chrome. No shops in the greater Bay Area (EPA air-quality regs.) were
     doing this finish. Our parts had to be taken by courier to Sacramento
     until we could get a new callout on the print.

     Even Nickel-Chrome has to be "farmed out" outside of the general area
     or done by plating shops that can afford the capital expenditures
     required by the EPA-mandated pollution controls.

     MY POINT: like our new compliance here with ISO-14001, maybe we all
     should take a re-look at "stuff" like chroming bumpers. There's
     probably some "way-cool" finishes out there that would be as
     attractive, although not original, as chrome. How about red or blue
     Alodine to match those nifty aircraft-style fittings under the hood?

     Am I a "flaming ECO-terrorist? Hardly, just trying to point something
     out to everyone on the list that we may all face eventually, without
     any hysterical emotionalism creeping in.

                                 Phil LeBrun
                                 lebrun@hii.hitachi.com