Re: Replacement Steering Wheel

To: schotbus@mail.cyberenet.net
Subject: Re: Replacement Steering Wheel
From: Larry Allbritton <larryall@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:58:10 -0800
schotbus@mail.cyberenet.net wrote:

> > 6.  Anyone have a good source for aftermarket steering wheels that look
> >     somewhat vintage.  I like the style Tony Branda carries for Mustangs
> >     Can these be made to fit the Tiger?
> >
> > I'm sure I have more questions, but that's all I can think of for now.
> > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
>
> Mark:
>
> After getting a number of splinters in my fingers from my cracked
> stock steering wheel, I changed to a beautiful "period" looking Moto
> Lita and have had absolutely no regrets.  Any of the Moto Lita wheels
> will be far less flimsy than the original and some say they even look
> nicer (I think mine's just as nice).  The next question is what to do
> about the horn because the Moto Lita doesn't accommodate the magic
> ring we all know and love.  Easy.  The hub has a nice, simple push
> button in the center that the stock wiring can be connected to.
> Depending on style and size, the wheel and mounting hub will run
> about around $200.
>
> You can buy directly from the Moto Lita distributor down in Miami,
> but I'd suggest getting one from either Sunbeam Specialties or Doug
> Jennings of Tiger Auto, Dayon, OH.  Buying from a Sunbeam supplier
> won't cost you any more and they'll have the correct hub with the
> Rootes emblem in the center sitting on the shelf.
>
> Gary Schotland

Gary, I have a Moto Lita Lecarra wheel in the Mk1.  I went to Sunbeam
specialties looking for that horn buttom.  They have them but the
electrical connection is in the center about where the threaded rod
for adjusting steering wheel heigth is located.  So I was told that I
could either cut this rod (no more wheel heigth adjustment) or I could
mount a remote buttom which is what I did.  I put it through the hole
in the dash where the windshield washer switch was.  It works well
but I am concerned that In a panic I may not get to it as quickly as
I would with a wheel mounted switch.  I am told that Moto Lita makes
another switch with the electrical connection offset so you don't have
to cut the adjustment rod.  I am haven't found a source yet.  I let
you if and when I do.

Larry Allbritton
B9472723