Re: Replacement Steering Wheel

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Replacement Steering Wheel
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 97 13:56:59 PST
>      One way around the horn button problem is to replace your turn signal
>      switch with one that includes a "flasher"switch, then wire the flasher
>      to the horns.  I think the direct sub is a Rover part, but Rick or Tom
>      or Curt should have it.  I found it easy to get used to, but I was
>      driving a German Capri at the time, and that had the horn on the
>      directional stalk.
>
>      Stu

This is exactly the setup on a Cobra.  Interestingly, the Cobra
turn-signal/flasher unit is from a mid 60s VW.  I bought a replacement
for mine in '66 from a VW dealer.

There is an article on the Tiger GTs prepared for Le Mans by Brian
Lister in the Dec/Jan '97 issue of BRITISH CAR magazine.  One interior
shot of a restored car shows a steering wheel which is a dead ringer for
my Cobra's Mota-Lita wheel.  Assuming this is the wheel originally used
in these GTs, I suppose this could provide an historical precedent for
installing one in a Tiger.  The wheel in the photo doesn't appear have a
horn button on the hub.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the Hi-Tech crap used on the Space
Shuttle, I might be able to find a source.  A local Shelby club member
used it in his spare-no-expense GT-40 replica.  It looks like neat
stuff- some sort of high temp resistant fabric with a backing, but I
don't know if it's any good for sound deadening.  From the looks of it,
though, I'd guess it's very pricey.

Roland