Handling problems

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Handling problems
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 03:04:20 -0500 (EST)
  I'm having handling problems with my Tiger and am looking for suggestions.
 The car has almost no return on the steering wheel after a corner or any
curve.  Also, it seems to bump steer somewhat.  Therefore, when making almost
any correction in near normal driving the wheel has to be constantly turned
or the car just continues in the direction of the last turn  (because the
wheel hardly returns).

   The front end has been completely removed and torn down, the parts all
checked and the upper and lower ball joints replaced, tie rod ends replaced
and springs and shocks replaced.  The steering column was torn down, checked
and relubed.

   An allignment was done twice and according to the machine it is right on.
 In looking at the car though it appears to have visible  positive camber.

   It was suggested to me that possibly the ball joints are defective and
causing a drag.  The steering rack has not been torn down completely, but the
adjustment are correct and I've also tried fooling with less tension and it
doesn't appear to be binding.

   The springs were replaced with parts from C.A.T. which are 1 1/2 "
 shorter than original , but it seemed to have the same symptoms before the
new springa went it.

   HELP ! !