Rear brake problem

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested)
Subject: Rear brake problem
From: Phil Dear <Phil.Dear@ncal.kaiperm.org>
Date: 05 Feb 1997 11:07:44 -0800
My rear brakes on my Mk1 are dragging. I first noticed the problem when the car
didn't appear to coast as easily as it should and was accompanied by the smell
of burning brakes. By the time I made it home, I could barely move the car into
the garage. The car sat for about a month before I had a chance to look into
the problem. At first, I though the vacuum booster was the cause since I had
the unit in and out five times before I got it right 2-1/2 years ago when I
rebuilt the unit. When the booster was causing problems, it was pretty
noticeable because the brake lights stayed on and I could loosen it by kicking
the brake pedal. But this time, the  front wheels were turning freely and the
rears were locked up tight. I finally was able to remove the drums and the only
thing that I could think of doing was adding a dab of high temp grease between
the backing  plate and the slave cylinder. The brake assembly moves if I push
it from side to side.  After putting it back together and test driving a few
miles, the right brake drum gets almost too hot to touch.

My question is: How freely should the brake assembly "float" ? Also, what else
should I look at ?

Phil
B9472XXX