Re: Rear brake problem

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rear brake problem
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 13:23:23 PST

>      Have you checked the parking brake to see if it's fully releasing?
>      Unless someone fiddled with the adjustments, that's about all that's
>      left that could effect both sides at once.  I've heard of people
>      getting restricted flow when brake hoses start to deteriorate
>      internally, but I've never heard of a complete "Check Valve" effect,
>      that would be required to cause a problem like you describe.
>
>      Stu
>

>> My rear brakes on my Mk1 are dragging. I first noticed the problem when the
>car
> didn't appear to coast as easily as it should and was accompanied by the
>smell o
> f burning brakes. >
> >
> Phil
> B9472XXX

I had a problem with the snake many years ago where both front brakes
were dragging slightly.  As friction heated things up, the disks and
pads expanded causing the brakes to lock-up completely.  After much
screwing around, including rebuilding the calipers on the recommendation
of a supposed British car expert, I discovered that the linkage was
binding because of rust and was keeping continuous pressure on the front
calipers master cylinder.  A little grease at the clevis pins fixed the
problem.

Roland