Re: Gas Fumes

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Gas Fumes
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 12:13:49 -0700
     On a sunny Sunday many years back, I decided to take my Tiger to it's
     first local TE/AE gathering since finishing it's assembly (it came as
     a kit).  With my girlfriend (now wife) in the passenger seat, and a
     picnic lunch sharing the trunk with the usual tools and spares, we
     filled the tank and headed south on I-95.  We could smell gas a little
     bit, but we had just filled it, after all.  Then we came to the "S"
     curve in 95, just over the RI border.  Suddenly the gas smell was
     incredibly strong, and this Harley guy pulls up beside me and yells
     that we were dripping gas out the back!

     Panic time!  Do I dare use the brakes?  What if one of the brake light
     connections makes a spark? (I already was aware of the Prince's
     reputation) We coasted down the next exit ramp, and into a gas
     station.  Opening the trunk, nothing was apparent until we started
     lifting stuff out.  The breather hose had cracked right at the top of
     the left tank, so every time the fuel sloshed left, out it came,
     dripping out the trunk drain holes.

     The gas station was an actual repair place, not just pumps and snack
     foods,  and they had the right size of fuel line to make a temporary
     replacement.  We mopped everything up,as best we could, and proceeded
     to the gathering.  The only casualty was the sandwiches.  Gas fumes DO
     NOT do much for the flavor of most deli meats...

     Stu