Re: Public Hearing on Car Crusher Bill

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Public Hearing on Car Crusher Bill
From: "Robert L. Norton" <rlnorton@alumni.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:15:43 -0800 (PST)
Phil:

The car crusher issue is totally unconnected with SB-42.  SB-42 provides
that cars 25 years and more older will be exempt from any smog checks.

The car crusher issue gets some people inflamed because they think
that people are going to have their cars confiscated.

The current wording of the car crusher bill (SB-501) makes participation
by a car owner totally voluntary.  What worries some people is that
enough cars of their type will be crushed that spare (used) parts will
become scarce.  The current wording is that the cars have to be
completely removed from the vehicle fleet by crushing in order to
get the emissions credits, thus denying anyone else the ability to
recover parts of the crushed cars.

Bob