Re: PCV Circuit Cleaning

To: Spook37211@aol.com
Subject: Re: PCV Circuit Cleaning
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 21:45:03 -0500
Spook37211@aol.com wrote:

> 'Course this begs the question: Is the valve blocked?  Have you tried to pull
>  air through it, as by sucking on it?  If it is, take it apart, dump it in a
> small sealed container of lacquer thinner and leave over-night.  If this
> doesn't clean it, shoot ot full of spray-on oven clean, treat it according to
> directions, and rinse with water.  Works great.
>
> HOWEVER at least some of the Tiger did come with the connection to the air
> cleaner.  I remember seeing them that way new............(God, I'm old...)
>  and I have since seen some untouched cars.  AND if not, what's that large
> nipple on the bottom of the cleaner base for?
>
> In another vein, blow-by is what the fumes that come out of the filler hole
> is caused by and mostly composed of.  A new engine with properly sealing
> rings, and under no load conditions has little or no blow-by.
>
> Regards, Ray
>
> PS-The best course for most of us is to pitch the old one in a can to sell to
> an originality freak, and to go buy a new one.

Sorry to say, I AM an originality freak (within reason).  By that I mean
that if the original can be made to work then I will use it.  So I did
dismantle and clean my PCV valve.  It was not completely clogged so I
expect that blow-by is my problem.  Bummer.  Anyone have an opinion
about how to handle this without losing use of the car for a complete
engine rebuild?  Can it be solved without actually removing the engine?

I know...wishful thinking.  It's just that even with the engine running
as it does it is still one hell of a ride and I hate to give it up!

<heavy sigh>
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS