Re: Fear of Flying Alpines

To: rootes@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Fear of Flying Alpines
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 97 9:59:05 PST

> > Are there any other cars out there where there were two
> > practically identical versions, i.e. Tiger/Alpine, but
> > where one pulls in a much higher price?  And, how do those
> > owners prove authenticity?
>
> Here are a few British cars that come to mind. I'm sure there are more:
> Different engined Cobras (I understand, if I'm correct, the Cobra club
> accepts replica Cobras in the same class as originals)

Not true.  SAAC does welcome replicas in the club, but they are strictly
classified as replicas.  Even AC/Autokraft Mk IVs don't count.

While small-block and big-block Cobras sort of looked alike externally,
their chassis were quite different.  Much more closely related were the
Ace 2.6 and the small-block (260 & 289) Cobra.  In fact, the very first
Cobra was a modified Ace 2.6.  Then there was the AC 289 which had a
coil-spring (427/428) chassis and 289.

> Steve Sage

Roland