Re: Fear of Flying Alpines

To: jlaifman@pircher.com (Jay Laifman)
Subject: Re: Fear of Flying Alpines
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 97 11:56:52 PST

> Ok, we have lots of cars now listed that have similar "bigger brother"
> cars (though few seemed to require the amount of modification that the
> Tiger did).  So, what about the big question - how do the owners of these
> cars protect/preserve the secret factory differences?

The way the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) does it is by
maintaining a fairly detailed registry.  The registry includes not only
dates of manufacturer, VIN numbers, options when sold, but, to the
extent possible, histories for each car.  Details such as title
disputes and multiple claims to the same VIN #, etc are noted.  Also
restoration details.  For example there are Cobras in the registry that
are listed as having been destroyed beyond repair or as having left the
factory incomplete- to be used as spares or for one project or another.
There are a few cars documented as having been destroyed beyond repair
and disposed of, but which have "miraculously" been resurrected.  In
general SAAC doesn't comment explicitly on authenticity, but lets the
Registry speak for itself.

Roland