bouncing emails to the list

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bouncing emails to the list
From: Mark W Olson <Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 08:44:00 PST
All,

I'd like to take a minute to explain why some of you have emails to the
list bounce, since it has been happening to a number of you.

Internet mailing lists have been victimized by people who abuse the
spirit of the internet by bulk-emailing advertisements to mail lists,
regardless of the relevance to the list.  This practice is called
"spamming."  In order to prevent it, the automated list server software
was modified to allow only members of the list send emails to the list.
We have enabled this feature on the tigers list.

If, your mail system sends a different "from" address than the address
from which you are subscribed to the tiger mailing list, then the list's
anti-spam feature prohibits you from sending mail to the list because it
thinks you are a spammer.

My apologies to Bill Rogers for using him as an example, but it's his
email administrator's fault.  He's only one of many who have had these
types of problems.

Specifically, his subscription address is:

milward@mail.gte.net

And his reply to address in the emails he sent was:

GTE/milward@gte.net

This difference is what caused his mail to bounce.  He will need to work
with his email people to get this resolved.

Another cause of bounces is when people have multiple mail accounts and
send from an account that doesn't receive the list mail.

So if you get a bounced email to the list that says something like
"non-member submission," check your reply-to address against your list
address.  If they are different, then this is your problem.

You can check your list membership by emailing majordomo@autox.team.net
with the text:

who tigers
who tigers-digest

If you get a bounce because you are not a member, email me at
Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com.

Sorry for the long boring email, but I figured you all should know this.

Good Luck.

Mark