Inside story: Blue gages

To: Larry.wright@mail.wdn.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Inside story: Blue gages
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 06:52:53 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text

     Blue is a recurring theme inside British Gages.  I grabbed a voltmeter
     out of a TR to stick into the Tiger clock hole.  It looked sort of
     right, but I wanted to clean it up and paint the pointer to match the
     others, so apart it came.  I found a blue dome over the bulb, which I
     took to be some silly Triumph thing, and removed it.  About a year
     later, when I finally sorted out all my dash lights, I discovered that
     the voltmeter light looks much more yellow-orange than the others.
     They all must add blue, to make the light look a bit whiter.  Now, I
     saw that blue filter floating around the bottom of one of my spares
     boxes a couple months before, but it  found a good place to hide when
     I finally wanted it....

     Another  interesting question:  The Lucas +/-30Amp I have is not
     illuminated, and does not accept the standard type of "bulb in the
     back" type of setup.  There are slots around the circumference of the
     body that appear to be there to admit light from some sort of external
     source.  Is this the "right" gage?  How do people illuminate these
     things?

     Stu