Re: Vents

To: Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vents
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 22:25:22 -0400 (EDT)
Regarding the air vents on the Tiger, your challenge now is to replace the
factory plastic "hinge" with something more substantial that will outlast the
car.  When mine failed I attempted a repair outlined in the CAT shop notes
using metalic tape.  When assembled I found that it wouldn't hold up for me.

I figured there had to be some way to adapt a metal hinge of some sort to the
vent.  I ended up using a piece of hinge cut off a a 24" brass piano hinge.
 I used small brass
machine screws and nuts, many washers for spacers and a few small pieces of
thin sheetmetal.

One of the wooden (?) rollers that attaches to the bottom of the spring was
missing so I drilled out a piece of a small wooden dowel to replace it.  The
tension on the spring can be increased by using a larger diameter dowel.  A
dowel too large would probably put too much pressure on the spring and the
box and something would break.

I used self adhesive faom weather striping and additionally coated it with
rubber adhesive and it stayed on very well

Anyway, the doors now sound close with a thump.  Sort of sound like a small
Cadillac doors closing.  I spent about 8 hours fooling around with these
things in the cellar one winter knowing that I would need plenty of time and
patience.  I just couldn't bring myself to replacing them with anything that
had a plastic hinge.

So, if anyone is interested in a challenge, try adapting a metal hinge.  Once
you find a method it should outlive the car.

                     Mark Lafayette