RE: Mazda powered alpine???

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, Curtis Fisher <Curtis_Fisher@smtp.svl.trw.com>,
Subject: RE: Mazda powered alpine???
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:49:35 -0700
        I had originally looked at the Lotus 907 for my engine
conversion, for two reasons.  1). I already knew that the Jensen Healey
Used the same gearbox,  2).  I realy liked the Lotus Big Valve Twin Cam
engines.  After looking closely at it, I wasn't certain that it would
fit under the sloping hood of the Alpine.  It is a tall engine, as are
most overhead cam engines, and I didn't think that the cam covers with
their cam spoket bulges at the front of the cover would clear the hood
at the front. (has anyone Actually used one of these in an Alpine yet?).
Another reason I decided against it was the cost at the time.  In
1978-79, a Lotus 907 was getting $2,000 to $2,500 in wrecking yards here
in the Seattle area.  The Buick 215 V-8 was only $50.......Money being
what it was, I went the way of the V-8.  At that time, I wasn't aware of
the official relationship between Lotus and Rootes.

Rich