Re: Dana colours

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dana colours
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 07:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
>>I've read the purpose behind this is to enhance oil flow.
>Some hot rodders even recomend painting the non-machined surfaces of an
>engine block with this stuff to promote oil return to the pump.  I
>didn't
>think it  would be  good idea on the rough casting surfaces,  but I did
>coat
>the inside of the oil pan with it.

The other common reason I've heard for using glyptal inside the motor is to
trap any loose grit in the pourous casting.  I know of more than one machine
shop that does this on their hypo rebuilds.  A friend at a local auto parts
store reported that he did this long ago on his Tiger small block and when
the engine was later torn down the glyptal was 100% intact.

>>While we are on the subject, Ford didn't paint their 4-speed transmissions
>>as they came from the factory. Something to do with holding in heat.
>>(probably cost)
>>When I was doing a toploader some 12 years ago Dave gave me that lecture
>>too.
>
>Come on Bruce - get outa here.  So how do the transmissions end up blue?
>
>With nice looking factory stencils?
>
>Rob Kempinski

The transmissions are painted (blue)?  Mine sure isn't but gear oil may make
a good paint remover.

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  "fix me"
                       Yamaha Seca 900