Re: 10.7.51 of the CA. motor vehicle code

To: Vonski@aol.com
Subject: Re: 10.7.51 of the CA. motor vehicle code
From: d_mountjoy@mail.nmusd.k12.ca.us (Darrell Mountjoy)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:28:46 -0800
Von,

Just a small correction here:

>Prior to 1958 the engine block number of each vehicle was the identification
>number used for the vehicle-remember the Harley example?  This also applied
>to cars, and when you exchanged the motor in your pre-1958 auto, you were
>supposed to notify the State Dept. of Motor Vehicles to have them record the
>serial number change.  This was obviously cumbersome, and was changed.

Ford did not follow this methodology for vehicle i.d., atleast with the
Y-block cars of '55, '56 &'57.  Unlike Chevy (& maybe all GM??) who matched
a serial number on most(?) major components of each of their cars Ford used
only a casting number on the Y-blocks.  For example the casting number of
all '57 312cid motors is the same.  Additionally the foundry cast
production date codes on the blocks, but there is no serially numbered
identification to be found on them.

On the Thunderbirds there is a data plate >>rivited<< to the firewall
containing, among other information, the serial number of the vehicle. In
the form D7FH XXXXXX, the "D" represents the engine code (312cid,4v,245hp),
the "7" represents the model year (1957), the "F" represents the assembly
plant (Dearborn, all Thundrbirds were assembled at Dearborn), the "H"
represents the body style (Thunderbird), and the XXXXXX represents the
consecutive unit number of all Ford cars assembled.  Maybe for the
passenger cars too, I'm not sure, the serial number was additionally
stamped on the top of the right frame rail, as to be visible from the
engine bay, and on the top of the rear frame crossmember.  The latter
stamping being visible only when the body would be lifted off the frame.

This serial number is the number used for vehicle i.d. with the DMV.  Who
knows (or cares) what chevy did.

Oh goodie.  More trivia to log away!

Darrell