Re: 302 Insertion

To: oldhaven@mail.biddeford.com ("Ron Franklin")
Subject: Re: 302 Insertion
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 97 8:11:30 PDT

> On  1 Jun 97 at 22:26, Anita & Jim Barrett wrote:
>

> > Tym,
> >         Some 260s had 5 bolt bell housings.  The 302 has 6 bolts.  If you
> > have the 5 bolt, then you will have to replace the bell housing.  Get a 302
> > with regular V belts; not the ribbed kind.......
>
> A lot of good info snipped.
>

> >         Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>

> Thanks Jim, just the kind of good information, concisely put,that I joined
> this list for.  My only addition for Tym would be that since original 260
>Tiger engines
> are worth keeping, don't sell it to some kid to put in his old pickup.
> Keep it with the car if you can afford the storage space.
>
> Ron Franklin

I did a "temporary" 5-bolt to 6-bolt 289 switch in 1975, or there
abouts, to my Cobra.  And I'll be swapping it back sometime this summer
hopefully.
Initially I was going to use an adapter plate between the 6-bolt bell
housing and the T-10, but this added about 1/2" to the length of the
transmission driveshaft combo, so I drilled new mounting holes in the
bell housing instead.  I also made a clutch slave bracket from 1/4"
steel plate stock, though I recommend using something heavier.  After
the fact I found out that these brackets are available from hot rod
parts suppliers.

The British version of the coil-spring (427 chassis) Cobra, called the
AC 289, had 6-bolt 289s.  I assume they also had cast iron clutch slave
brackets similar to the one on my 5-bolt 289; but it would probably
be cheaper to have something custom made than to use one of these-
assuming one could even be found.

Roland