Re: radiators and water chemistry

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: radiators and water chemistry
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net> (by way of steven malone <s_malone@metro.net>)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:27:07 -0700
         Mag Plug International
     Sacrificial Magnesium Anodes
             Dan Zebell
         707-869-4490 Northern Ca.

Dan uses a magnesium alloy attached to a specially-designed plug.
The plugs are threaded, so you can insert then where ever you want.
He has a application chart, and will make custum anodes. Most
of the cars on his list have aluminum blocks or heads, but he does have
a 3/8 and 1/2 inch pipe plug anodes. $15 each, less in quanties.
If your interested call him, he does have a page of technical information
that maybe could get faxed.

As always, I am in no way reasponsable for this product.

Steve

Tom, thanks for the Chemistry,

I don't think, however, that the combination of dissimilar metals will
end. We will have aluminum heads, copper radiators, iron blocks, and
miscellaneous other materials intermixed for some time. As I recall, the
solution to the problem of electro-chemical corrosion involved the use
of a sacrificial material to eliminate the degradation of the stuff you
want. There are electric isolator blocks in household plumbing between
galvanized and copper water lines. There is (or was) a battery you could
bury in the earth to change the charge direction to prevent
electro-galvanic corrosion. And, more to the point of our car, I seem to
recall a stack of magnesium washers that were placed in the radiator end
tanks (actually top tanks) to allow the more active magnesium to erode,
instead of the aluminum. Don't recall seeing them lately, however. Maybe
they went the way of the 200 mpg carburetor, and "Detroit" has bought
the rights and buries it to allow you to replace your car with a new one
every 3-5 years.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/