Re: Radiator cleaner

To: "Chris S. Mottram"<Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator cleaner
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 14:26:09 -0700
At 09:22 AM 6/4/97 -0400, Chris S. Mottram wrote:

>From: Chris S. Mottram@ECCI on 06/04/97 09:22 AM
>
>My SV appears to be running a little on the toasty side.  I pulled the
>thermostat and the temp does not go down at all.  I determined from this
>and a visual inspection of the inerds of my radiator that my next step
>should be to clean out the cooling system.  I purchased some radiator
>cleaner from NAPA that say it disolves rust and scale.  You put it in the
>car, let it idle for 30 minutes, then flush.  It has no acid in it. (It has
>TSP - trisodium phosphate, and something bisulphate).  It only cost about 3
>bucks.  If this does not do the job I am going to take it to the radiator
>shop and have it rotted (rodded?) out.  I will post the results of this
>experiment after I perfrom the procedure. BUT  If anyone knows a any reason
>why I should not do this, please speak now or forever hold your peace.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Chris,

You will probably find that the flush does not really help matters at all.
What you probably need to do is to have the radiator taken out and rodded
as you suggested.  You might also try having the radiator "boiled" as well.
 Keep in mind that some of that build-up is also plugging tiny leaks which
will have to be repaired.  Obviously, make sure the shop pressure tests the
damn thing before you pick it up and reinstall it.

I have taken this course of action with a number of other cars in the past
and it has really made a big difference.....specially after 30 some odd years.

I am considering the same course of action with my Tiger, but am waiting to
talk to the PO that built it from a garage queen in boxes over 11 years
ago.  With only about 3 to 5K miles put on the car in those 11 years, I
suspect I need a good boil at the least, if not a rodding!!

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out!!

Allan
B9472373