Re: HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?
From: tiger technologies <tartanad@ix15.ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:23:05 -0700
>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:21:26 -0700
>To: rootes@ix.netcom.com
>From: tiger technologies <tartanad@popd.ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: HOW SHOULD A CONCOURS BE RUN?
>
>Dear Sages, one and all:
>
>I want to reiterate what partner Jan had to say on the subject and add a
few items if I may.

>In the past few weeks I have spent much time talking "events" with the
folks at Moss Motors (who actually put on events for various clubs), folks
at the Thunderbird Owners Association and the Healey club (that just
conducted a VERY successful event at Big Bear). They all seem to say the
same thing: the key to a successful event is to have something for everyone.
Those who rallye can rallye. Those who autocross (or Solo 1 or whatever) can
do that. But such fill in activities like a pinewood derby (which Moss
Motors will turn over to us), a fun-kana, a blindman's rallye (no odometer,
watch, etc.) are all bound to provide additional interest from participants.

>Also discussed was the way the concours events have been conducted. Such
categories as "Tow and Show" and "Go and Show" should be considered. And as
for judging, it doesn't take 20 judges all day to handle a concours. The
Huntington Beach Concours does it with a dozen volunteers, who are schooled
on various classes before hand. And they review over 200 cars! There IS a
way to get this important aspect of any gathering done. But the bottom line
is to have a set of guidelines published AND ADHERED TO so that the judging
of all classes is as fair as possible. And as for the most "popular" Tiger,
let's get away from "salting the voting", by making it a people's choice
award, voted on by those who attend the concours event (and at Big Bear,
there's always a large crowd of appreciative spectators, just as there is at
Moss events held at Flag Is Up Farm in Beulton.

>The way the swap meet was conducted at Eureka was ideal. I'd plan similarly
for Big Bear.

>As for entry fees, many clubs operate this way: basic registration fee for
car and driver, extra for second partipant. The fee covers entry, awards
dinner/brunch (whatever), commemorative plaque (there's that nasty word
again!)and the cost of event trophies. Everything else is "a la carte".
Wanna autocross? Pay a fee to cover track rental and insurance. Wanna
rallye? Pay a fee to cover liability insurance. Wanna fish? Go fishing.

>One neat thing that the Healey club did by the way at Big Bear was to have
a session where everyone (before the concours) drove to a certain spot and
had their picture taken. By the following day, the photos were made
available and were actually part of the class trophies. Very classy!!!

>Jan and I are willing and more than able (at least in some members' minds)
to assist Team Sage with Big Bear. If you would like our help, just ask for
it. In any case, the above-mentioned suggestions just might help make
TUXXIII the very best United ever.