Shimmy Cause

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shimmy Cause
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 20:36:50 -0400
    Tiger People
        The shimmy in the front of my Tiger II 351C under braking was
 caused by the headers!  Yes, that is what I said, the headers.   While
 you think about that I will tell you about the disks.  I used a dial
indicator on both of them and they each had .0005 warp maximum.
One wheel had .001 warp and the other had one place that was
.027 warp.   The hubs had a maximum of .005 warp on the face.
 But none of this warping was the cause of the shimmy.   If you
recall from my first letter, I replaced the upper A arm bushings.  I
found that the rear bushing had failed while the front bushing was
fairly good.  One of the header tubes pass within 3/4" of the end of the
upper rear end of the A arm shaft.  The heat from the header appears
to be the cause of the failure of the bushing.  Guess what? The same
tube also passes within an inch of the lower A arm rear bushing.
Tonight I checked the lower bushings and sure enough the rear bushing
was badly worn on the side that has the nearby header tube.  The
other side rear has 2" from the header tube, but it was obvious that the
bushing was worse than the front bushings, again due to the heat from
the headers.  As I have no lower bushings at the moment, I temporally
added a rubber washer salavaged from the old upper front bushings
between the steel washer and the bad bushings.  On a test drive the
shimmy  was gone !
        Now my question is, is there a heat resistant bushing available?
Is there any cross over from other car's bushings to the Tiger/Alpine
 lower bushing?  Does anyone know a source for regular Tiger Bushings.
Finally, has anyone had experience with solid aluminum bushings?
        One of my near term tasks is to aquire some of that header
 insulation tape and wrap my headers.
        Thank everyone who responded to my Shimmy question.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others.